- Spanish-style Apartment Buildings. These are attractive and have fun names. They evoke visions of tropical flowers and singing parrots - especially appreciated on cold winter days.
- Lunds. Lunds has a long history in the neighborhood, and I'm happy that it remains a presence in our main commercial hub today.
- Local Coffee Shops. Minneapolis in general has lots of them, and Uptown residents have multiple independent coffee joints to get their caffeine fix. And yes, Dunn Brothers might be a chain, but at least it's a local chain. They can stay in this category for now.
- Magers & Quinn. We're lucky to have such a fabulous independently-owned bookstore in our midst.
- Calhoun Square. I think it's good for Uptown to have a large, open climate-controlled space in the main commercial core. While a private company can never be a true community center, Calhoun Square seems to be doing a good trying. I don't like traditional malls, but Calhoun Square was designed to remain somewhat open to the street and to engage foot traffic, and I hope that this will continue to be the case post-renovation.
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Things I Like About Uptown
In the spirit of taking the time to reflect on both the big and the small things I both like and don't like about Uptown, here's a list of some personal positives: